Common Swimming Myths

Posted on

Waiting an hour after eating

Probably the biggest myth adamantly told children everywhere. Perhaps just a parenting strategy to get kids to take a break from the pool or be a little more safety conscious. Digestion diverts blood flow away from the muscles to aid in the food breakdown process. It’s a good idea to avoid swimming immediately after eating but an hour is unnecessary. There is no scientific proof that cramps are caused from swimming too soon. Anyone can get a cramp anytime while swimming.


Overpowering chlorine smells just means its working

Chlorine is one the most powerful cleaning agents you can put in your pool. Its important but what really is happening while your nose is burning. Chlorine in your pool attaches to bacteria from contaminates and changes the chemistry of the chlorine into chloramines. The scent from these chloramines is way stronger when it is attached to the contaminants.  So, when there is an overbearing chlorine scent arising from your pool, you probably have too many contaminants and should add more chlorine to your water.

 

You must hold your breath under water

This does not imply that you should try to breath under water. But holding your breath creates carbon dioxide in your lungs, thus causing the gasping for air effect when you do surface. When under water, calmly blow bubbles out of your mouth and nose. Don’t try to breathe under water because you’ll get a mouth full of water and probably choke.


Red and irritated eyes are caused by too much chlorine

Eye irritation is caused by the opposite, there isn’t enough chlorine in the pool. For the same reason as above, chloramines. Low pH levels lowered- rom rain water can also cause eye irritation. Ideally your pools pH level should be between 7.4- 7.6 because the pH in human eyes are 7.5. Rains pH is typically a 5 so anything below a 7pH is going to make eye balls red, itchy, and irritable.


Chlorine turns hair green

Chlorine is blamed to be the culprit of a lot of pool related problems but, it’s not the bad guy. Whether you naturally have light hair or achieved artificially, it’s the copper base in algaecides that cause the discoloration of hair. The oxidized metals can attach to hair proteins, turning them green.

Hello You!

Join our mailing list